It’s so hard to believe that it’s fall already, here in Michigan. To me, nothing feels like fall quite like an Apple Crisp. We live near an orchard and the apples start showing up in all their glory by the bushel, this time of year. We were super excited to film this segment, because we were also able to introduce you to our sweet miracle baby, Norah.
We hope that you enjoyed our segment, if you missed it you can view it by clicking on this link…
We decided to put a Fitzgerald spin on our crisp by baking it up in a Vintage Cast Iron skillet. Here’s a step by step for how we did this dessert.
We started with Granny Smith Apples from our local Orchard. You can use any type of apple, but I’d reccomend a tart variety.
I then assembled the ingredients to make the “crisp” part of the dessert. For the topping, you will need Brown sugar, granulated sugar (we like Pioneer Sugar). You will also need Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Salt. Using your hands, mix these items, adding the flour gradually. We used Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Flour and highly recommend it. Then with a fork or your hands, add one stick of unsalted butter to your dry ingredients. Mix until the topping is in a crumble form. That’s it, your topping is done. Now onto the apples.
Dice 5 apples and place them in a large mixing bowl. Next, heat the 2 tablespoons of butter in your cast iron skillet. Then add your diced apples and salt. Cook for 3 minutes. Next, stir in 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, 1 tablespoon of vanilla, and the juice of 1/2 lemon.
Turn your burner off and add the topping. Disperse the topping evenly over the apples and then cover the dish with tin foil. Bake your crisp for 15 minutes, remove cover, and continue baking for 20-30 minutes.
Pile your serving up with ice cream and enjoy with Hemisphere coffee. Enjoy!
Cast Iron Apple Crisp
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 5 Granny Smith Apples
- Pinch Salt
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Vanilla
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter (1 Stick)
Preheat Oven to 350º
1. Combine together Brown Sugar, Granulated Sugar, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Salt.
2. Using Hands or a fork mix together sugar mixture with butter while gradually adding flour. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Set topping aside.
1. Dice Apples
2. Heat Butter in Cast Iron Skillet. Once Butter is heated, add Apples and Salt. Cook for 3 minutes.
3. Stir in Brown Sugar, Cornstarch, Vanilla, and Lemon.
4. Cover Filling with Topping.
5. Cover dish with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
6. Remove foil and bake for 20-30 minutes until filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown.